Launched in 2013 and based in Saint-Nazaire, France, Film Washi is the world’s smallest company to produce photographic materials. Specialized in handcrafted film making and industrial film conversion, Film Washi offers a wide range of unique and innovative films.
Film Washi's "Specialty Films" are coated by machines in other factories - but are not made for standard photography. They may have been designed for exposure through automatic machines, like motion picture sound or leader film, or even not intended for visible light, like X-ray films. Some of these films are designed for specific governmental or military uses, like surveillance films. However, these films can be hacked from their intended use - for artistic or fun purposes! That is why Film Washi converts them to standard formats to make them usable in classic cameras.
Originally coated for aerial vegetation mapping, Film "Z" is a near infrared sensitive film, offering nice contrast and green shade separation (even under cloudy weather), making it perfect for landscape photography. The infrared effect (dark sky and bright white reds and greens) can be exaggerated by using a red filter.
- NEAR INFRARED BLACK & WHITE FILM (re-purposed for still cameras)
- 400 ISO
- Grain: low
- Contrast: moderate
- Base: polyester
- Darkroom safe: total darkness
- Loading: under shadow
- This film has an extended leader to avoid the light piping effect - shoot 3 blank photos to start the roll, and the remaining 24 as normal
- Use a Red filter to enhance infrared effect
- Please see Datasheet for processing instructions.
- LAB PROCESSING WARNING: Due to the special nature of Film Washi products, some film processing labs may add additional handling charges.