Launched in 2013 and based in Saint-Nazaire, France, Film Washi is the world’s smallest company to produce photographic materials. Specialized in handcrafted film making and industrial film conversion, Film Washi offers a wide range of unique and innovative films.
Film Washi's "Specialty Films" are coated by machines in other factories - but are not made for standard photography. They may have been designed for exposure through automatic machines, like motion picture sound or leader film, or even not intended for visible light, like X-ray films. Some of these films are designed for specific governmental or military uses, like surveillance films. However, these films can be hacked from their intended use - for artistic or fun purposes! That is why Film Washi converts them to standard formats to make them usable in classic cameras.
Designed for Russian aerial surveillance and cartography, Film "D" is a panchromatic negative film, offering high contrast and moderate grain. Great for when you need high sensitivity and/or a small aperture. It can be pushed to 1600 ISO and also be processed as a slide film, with B&W reversal chemicals.
- PANCHROMATIC BLACK & WHITE SURVEILLANCE FILM (re-purposed for still cameras)
- 500 ISO
- Grain: moderate
- Contrast: strong
- Base: polyester
- Darkroom safe: total darkness
- Loading: under shadow
- This film has an extended leader to avoid the light piping effect - shoot 3 blank photos to start the roll, and the remaining 36 as normal
- Being a very thin film, "D" can be delicate to load in processing tanks: you can tape a piece of thicker leader film onto it to make it easier to introduce in the reel. Tested with JOBO and PATERSON reels.
- See Datasheet for processing instructions.
- LAB PROCESSING WARNING: Due to the special nature of Film Washi products, some film processing labs may add additional handling charges.