Launched in 2013 and based in Saint-Nazaire, France, Film Washi is the world’s smallest company to produce photographic materials. Specialized in handcrafted film making and industrial film conversion, Film Washi offers a wide range of unique and innovative films.
Film Washi's "Specialty Films" are coated by machines in other factories - but are not made for standard photography. They may have been designed for exposure through automatic machines, like motion picture sound or leader film, or even not intended for visible light, like X-ray films. Some of these films are designed for specific governmental or military uses, like surveillance films. However, these films can be hacked from their intended use - for artistic or fun purposes! That is why Film Washi converts them to standard formats to make them usable in classic cameras.
Film "A" is a black & white film, used as a leader or protection tail during the reproduction process for movies. It was originally sensitized to record technical data (and subtitles and main titles) and offers a very fine grain and a very high contrast. This film is not very sensitive to tungsten (indoor) lighting and performs much better outdoors, in natural light. It works well for street photography, still life, and astrophotography.
- ORTHOCHROMATIC BLACK AND WHITE LEADER FILM (re-purposed for still cameras)
- 12 ISO
- Grain: fine
- Contrast: very strong
- Base: polyester
- Darkroom safe: total darkness
- Loading: under shadow
- This film has an extended leader to avoid the light piping effect - shoot 3 blank photos to start the roll, and the remaining 36 as normal
- This film is not very sensitive to tungsten light.
- See Datasheet for processing information.
- LAB PROCESSING WARNING: Due to the special nature of Film Washi products, some film processing labs may add additional handling charges.